Friday, November 2, 2007

The Tutoring Practicum:Discussion Nov. 02

So I made it to class today despite being late, and im glad I did....

We had a little discussion in the library about the tutoring practicum thus far. I just wanted to say that the time we spent there was more productive than all of the time I've spent tutoring thus far. I tihnk if there is something to be gained here, its that we can best apply theory with the people who are being taught it. Now we didn't actually talk about compositional theory, but I think that our discussion about its application(or lack of) was stirring enough.
Many of us are having issues with this whole thing. I see the engine behind the steam, but I think the whole thing lacks the fuel. People aren't going to be motivated to do anything unless there is some kind of interdependency happening. I would be totally willing to help someone out with their writing if they really sincerely wanted it, if they came to me under their own steam. But its just not that way and its not going to be unless these people really want to be good writers. I really believe its that mundane.

We ran out of time, so I just wanted to get that out there.

No comments: